Wednesday, October 03, 2012

PHODNI BHAT....

I have a tendency of cooking more than required and hence always have leftovers..My mother always says that minimum of 2 people extra can come and eat at your place at any point of time and you will still have something remaining..Hehe..
Personally if you ask me, I like to cook in large quantities and also love to serve large portions .
I get inspired when chefs cook large portions on television programs too and have noticed that they are normally my favorite cooking programs.. eg Nigella lawson .
Now back to why I started this talk I almost always have a little rice leftover and love to make something with it.. Phodni bhat is a very common item made in Indian homes which means... PHODNI --tempering or baghar. and bhat means Rice so in short it is tempered rice..
I twist my tempering in order to make it more interesting and different tasting.. this time I used garlic and tomatoes in the tempering and the product is for you to judge and taste off course after you try it at home and give me your comment so waiting for your comments.





Ingredients:-

1 cup cooked rice
1 medium sized Onion finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
3 cloves garlic finely chopped.
3 Green chilies
Curry leaves –few
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp sugar.

For the tempering:-
 
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Hing /Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 tbsp Oil
Chopped Coriander to garnish
Salt to taste

Method:-

Heat oil in a pan.
 Add Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds, allow to splutter.
Add hing Turmeric powder and curry leaves, green chillies and garlic.
Add chopped onions. Saute the onions till they turn translucent.
Add the tomatoes and stir till they are just partially cooked and do not leave water.
Finally add the leftover rice and salt. Mix well.
Stir gently without mashing the rice.
Sprinkle and mix the lemon juice and sugar.
Cover the pan. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot.
I love to serve this rice with curds and papad.

2 comments:

kitchen queen said...

Wow nice preparation of left over rice.It looks very tempting and very delicious.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mahek,

As a food lover & a goan myself, I always check your blog for new recipes. Although I may not leave comments, I check it every other week. Hope everything is fine with you & your family and I hope that you do continue writing.

Kamakshi