Thursday, July 29, 2010

TADKA DHOKLA

I had a lot of buttermilk in the fridge yesterday and i was thinking of ways to use it and the idea of making dhokla from scratch cropped in my head .I never make dhokla with chana flour i always get ready packets which give me really good dhokla .




I am sharing this recipe with you because I am proud of it as i tried it totally on my own and by using my own quantity of ingredients and it turned out really very good.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup besan or chana dal flour
1/2 or a little more of butter milk (actually i poured it in till the batter got the right consistency)
A little grated ginger.
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda or ENO

for the TADKA or TEMPERING.

1 tsp rai or mustard seeds
a little asoefotida
green chillies cut into big pieces
curry leaves

finely chopped coriander and fresh grated coconut for garnish




METHOD:

Take the besan or chana atta in a bowl
add the buttermilk to it till you get a runny consistency
add the salt , sugar ,ginger and mix thoroughly ,then finely add the baking soda
apply oil to a pan and pour this mixture into it, let it steam on medium till done it takes about 15 mins.
once out of the pan cool and cut into small pieces.



Take a kadai
Add oil and give tadka i.e tempering of rai,hing,chillies and curry leaves.
Immediately put in the dhokla pieces.
Stir so that the whole tempered mixture coats the dhoklas
finally add finely chopped coriander and grated coconut.



THANK YOU!!!!

3 comments:

kitchen queen said...

lovely and spongy dhoklas.Please parcel me some.

Margot said...

Very interesting dish!

Thank you for visiting my blog and nice comment.
I'm really looking forward seeing your entries for Wholesome Lunchbox event :)

Cynthia said...

I don't really know much about dhokla except from what I have read on blogs but based on that, I would say that you have done an outstanding job!