Thursday, October 04, 2007

BAKED DISH....

I love baked dishes; I have not done any variations in the basic white sauce of the dish and prefer it to be simple and very down to earth… I love the simplicity of this dish but don’t like it to be full of cheese. Although the more cheesy it is, the more tasty it becomes. I will give you my version which is not so cheesy but tasty nevertheless, you can add your required quantity of cheese, and I don’t make it with plain flour as I am not in favour of using refined flour so, I use equal quantity of corn flour and wheat flour and the taste is just about the same without compensating on the nutrition.


INGREDIENTS

1 Tbsp corn flour
1 tbsp wheat flour
1 tbsp butter or more
11/2 cup milk
2 cubes cheese.
½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper powder
I use boiled carrots, potatoes, French beans, boiled corn and pasta (you can use any vegetable you fancy)


TIFFIN FOR MY SON
METHOD

Take a heavy bottom pan add the butter and the flours
Fry till you get a mild aroma
Add milk stir continuously so that you do not get lumps
Stir till the mix starts to thicken
Add 1 grated cheese cube and pepper powder
Stir and add all the boiled vegetables and boiled pasta
You can transfer the whole mix into a baking dish, garnish with the remaining grated cheese.
Bake in the oven for about 15 mins or till the surface is brown or the cheese has sufficiently melted.
Eat with toasted garlic bread.
You can decorate the final mixture with cheese strips to make it more interesting for the kids.
I usually omit the last step and eat it directly from the pan without putting it in the oven.





5 comments:

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

do you make bake potatoes ?

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

This dish was in the special menu at my home yeasterday night, for my birthday celebration.

Mona said...

Mahek ! I too love baked dishes with cheese, Will someday try out this dish of urs. Have bookmarked it :-)

www.monaafzal.wordpress.com

Jean from New Zealand said...

That looks nice. I make something similar but use it with cauliflower and then put it in the dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake to get a crunchy top. Also use a cheese sauce and add macaroni to make pasta dish of macaroni cheese.Jean T

Anonymous said...

Do you put any herbs in this dish?