Monday, June 04, 2007

SANJOREE OR SHEERA ROTI....

This is a dish that I have prepared for the very first time. I have eaten it a no of times but never went about cooking it.
Today the letter “S” made me do the impossible i.e. made me do sheera roti with great enthusiasm for the event.
I feel that these roti’s have a cover made of Maida which has been kneaded with lots of oil to get that elasticity required for the cover of such sweet roti’s like puranpoli .
But I am averse to using Maida because I feel its something that has lost its nutritional value and which should be eaten as less as possible. So I have made the cover with wheat flour and so it will be a little different from the store bought one.



INGREDIENTS.

1 cup Rava
1 cup milk
1 cup water
11/2 cup of sugar
½ tsp elaichi powder
ghee for frying and garnishing

for the covering


knead your atta (wheat flour) as usual with a little bit of oil



METHOD:

FOR THE STUFFING OR SHEERA


Roast the rava till it turns brown and emits a yummy flavour.
Remove on a separate plate
In the same pan take one cup water, milk and 11/2 cup sugar
Add elaichi powder
Let the mixture come to a boil
Add the roasted Rava
Add ghee and stir till it forms a thick mass.

METHOD FOR MAKING THE SHEERA ROTI OR SANJOREE

Take a ball of the wheat atta, stuff the atta with sheera and roll
Make it just like you would for aloo parathas
Fry it on a hot griddle or tava
Pour a little ghee around the sanjoree
Serve hot with ghee
You can have a nice vegetable pulao and make it a complete meal.

This is my entry for A TO Z of indian vegetables



5 comments:

kaoko said...

Looks yummy, I can imagine eating it with curry. I'd love to try it myself since it looks simple enough, but I don't think I can find the ingredients here :( I've no idea what Riva and elaschi are ^_^;;

Mahek said...

hi
thanks for visiting my blog
This is a sweet roti as the sheera which i have made with Rava i.e semolina and elaichi i.e cardamom powder . This is a sweet dish usually made for festive occassions in india
you better not eat it with a curry because it will be a sweet and spicy together which is not very tasty.

Jeena said...

Hi mahek lovely recipe I bet it tasted delicious :)

Alapana said...

even i dont like using Maida in anything,and my husband loves sheera, i know about puralpoli but not sheera roti,will try it as i find it quite simple than puranpoli:)

Manasi said...

Hi! I like Sanjori with wheat covering! better tate (in my opinion) and nutrition!!! Ur version looks wonderful!