Tuesday, June 26, 2007

RUSTIC FOOD....

This is my entry for the above event.
For me, nothing like a rustic and wholesome Maharashtrian thali. I love Maharashtrian cuisine, although my home town is goa, I have been born and bought up in Maharashtra and hence there is an affinity for maharashtrian food.
Goan food is a lot different from Marathi cuisine, the major difference being the extensive use of coconut and fish in goan food.
I have friends who invite me ,knowing my love for Marathi food, and when I visit them , I have only one condition the food must be normal , day to day food . I do not like elaborate cooking which takes up your time and energy and leaves you with no energy to sit and chat with your friend. I like food that is simple and nutritious.
I made a Maharashtrian thali to show you the simplicity of the Maharashtrian food.


eggplant slit into six segments
You will find the following things on my thali

BHARLI VANGI,
VARAN, BHAT
JOWAR BHAKRI,
MIRCHICHA THECHA.

Recipe for BHARLELI VANGI
Ingredients

250 gms small brinjal or vangi.
2 medium onions thickly sliced
1 cup coconut grated
1 tsp Garam masala powder
2 tsp roasted and ground peanuts.
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp haldi powder
Salt to taste
Marble sized ball of tamarind
Coriander for garnish.

METHOD.

In a pan take oil and roast together the onions and coconut till they turn nice and brown
Slit the brinjals as shown in the picture.
Grind the above onion coconut mixture with chilli, haldi and Garam masala powder.
You can add the tamarind and the peanut powder to it. Grind it to a thick paste.
Stuff the above mixture into the slit brinjals
Take oil in another pan, when hot you can place the stuffed brinjal in it to be cooked.
You can change the side on which the brinjal is placed when you see that the lower side is cooked and ready.
When the vegetable is ready garnish it with coriander.
Serve hot with bhakri and pickle.


THE TRADITIONAL MAHARASHTRIAN THALI I LOVE TO EAT
There are so many typical maharashtrian recipes which I enjoy and one of them being pithle which is made with chickpea flour and which tastes great with bhakri.
I was on sinhagad some months back and I had posted about the food on the top of the Sinhagad Mountains which was typical, rustic rural food or the food eaten in the villages of India. For those interested check out the link here.

6 comments:

Nupur said...

The thali looks delicious, Mahek! Combination of stuffed vangi and bhakri is the best food in the world!

Asha said...

YUMMY!!! Mahek,that is wonderful entry:))

Roopa said...

Wow Mahek lovely thali of Bhakri and bhareli vangi.looks delicious

Dhana said...

Marathi Thali looks very comforting!!! Nothing like a good ol rustic meal to get you going :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the bharleli vangi recipe, it was delicious!

-Preeti

amol sanap said...

मस्त झालेत, भरलेली वांगी ...