Saturday, May 05, 2007

OATMEAL SQUARES.......

Thanks to Nupur of one hot stove, I get very inspired when I take part in her event
“A to Z of Indian vegetables”.
This time her letter is ‘O’ and I racked my brain for something with that letter, I tried to involve my husband and son to come up with something that had a letter ‘O’. To this my hubby who has never cooked anything other than a cup of tea, came up with OATMEAL.
WOW!!!!! That’s great I should do something with oatmeal which I had, off course never tried before and to tell you the truth had never ever bought, nor tasted before today.
But then I said to myself why not? This gives me an opportunity to try something that I had never tasted before and that’s what I like doing something new, cooking the same type of food day in day out gets me frustrated I get all charged when I try new recipes.
So here I was sitting at my computer as late as 12.30 at night to find out something to be made with oatmeal.






After going through a lot of recipes of oatmeal cookies which are quite elaborate and made a huge batch I came up with this recipe which I made in a small batch and was surprised that it tasted yummy and sooooo crispy!!!!. It made my day when everyone appreciated my first effort. Off course the first piece went to my dear hubby for providing me with his valuable tip. And the next would have probably gone to Nupur if I had known her. So Nupur pls try this recipe and let me know.


I do not know how the original (about a dozen recipes) which I read , would taste like and what would be the texture but my recipe was good and was well loved by my sons friends who all got to taste a piece.


OATMEAL SQUARES

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats.½ cup plain flour1 egg or a little less11/2 – 2 cups powdered sugar50 gms butter.1 tbsp vanilla essence½ cup chocolate chips (optional)1tsp baking powder.

METHOD

Beat butter till quite soft.Add sugar and beat again.Add the egg and beat.You can add the rest of the ingredients and give it a stir with a spoon.Grease a tray or a shallow oven proof pan.The mixture will be of a semi solid consistency, so spread it with a spoon in a pan.Bake it for about 30 mins at 180 C.It will be a little soft when it comes out of the pan, but turns hard and crispy once you let it cool.Cut into squares when hot so that you get neat little squares.

THIS IS MY ENTRY FOR NUPURS " A to Z of vegetables "

4 comments:

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

sounds interesting

Nupur said...

Oh, Mahek! How nice to share a piece with me! I wish I was closer so I could take a bite :) Thanks very much for participating!

Roopa said...

sounds great to try!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love oatmeal and your squares look very appetizing!