Thursday, January 11, 2007

PRAWN PULAO...

This was my lunch today,
Prawn –peas pulao with a difference
Nowadays I am in a mood to create something different, I just don’t feel like cooking the everyday things and food .
So Prawns pulao it was for today…
What makes this pulao different from the one which I had earlier posted . It’s different because It contains cashew-coconut-green chili paste and it does not contain the regular pulao biryani masala which I usually use when I make biryani’s or pulao’s .
I went on adding the things that came spontaneously to my mind , not thinking of the end result but!!! The final product turned out to be great , and everyone enjoyed it…
When I tasted the first spoonful I knew it was different, but what made it different? That made me think ,and I knew what I felt … it gave a feeling of warmth and homeliness and that was because it was not the usual ‘each grain is separate from each other’ type it was sort of sticky i.e. the grains stuck to each other and that was because of the cashew and coconut paste . The feeling of homeliness was because in earlier days when our mother or grandmother made any rice preparation the stress was not on the texture, colour,or the presentation ,what was important was the taste and that it was approved by the family .
And that’s how the pulao tasted , so cook this my style and let me know how you feel.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup shelled and deveined prawns
11/2 cup rice
1 cup green peas
½ cup cashew pieces.
3 medium onion roughly chopped
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp haldi
3 green chilies
½ cup cashew nuts
½ cup grated coconut
1 tsp dhania jeera powder
2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp amchur powder
coriander for garnish
oil and salt to taste.
3 cups water for cooking the pulao

Heat oil in a pan
Add the onions and ginger garlic paste
Let it become soft them add haldi,garammasala,and prawns
Stir fry till the mixture becomes light brown.
Add all the masalas and the ground paste of coconut, cashew and green chilies
Add the rice ,stir and add the water which you should boil before adding.
Add salt and amchur powder.
Cover and cook on medium flame for 15 mins
Serve hot with coriander leaves and coconut (optional)

3 comments:

TRS said...

Hi,
Adding Cashew/coconut paste is a great idea..thanks for the tip.

Trupti

jayamukund said...

cashew paste gave richness to the dish and of course coconut always taste good for prawns pulao
thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

very good dish

thanks for sharing