Sunday, July 30, 2006

SABUDANA KHICHDI....

SABUDANA KHICHDI

This is a typical maharashtrians item and is made by marathi people almost every week and definetly on fasting days as it gives you all the required nutrition which one misses out due to the fast.


INGREDIENTS

2 cups sabudana or sago soaked for at least 6-7 hours (soak till the water just touches the top of the sabudana)
Two small potatoes boiled and cut into small pieces
½ cup roasted and coarsely pounded peanuts
For tempering:
Jeera, hing, green chilies, curry leaves
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp lemon juice
Finely chopped coriander for garnishing
Grated coconut for garnishing.


METHOD

Take oil in a pan , when hot you can put jeera,hing , green chillies and curryleaves
Put the soaked sabudana in this mix and stir for sometime
The sabudana will turn from opaque to transparent.
Then you can add the remaining things like boiled potato, chopped coriander
Put sugar, salt and lemon juice
You can garnish this ready khichdi with freshly grated coconut.

7 comments:

Krithika said...

Very impressive blog. Your sabudana khichdi looks delicious.

Saffron said...

oh, how lovely! I love sabudana kichdi and can never get the grains to be separate and fluffy. I blame it on the quality of sabudana we get here in the US, but I don't think that's the problem!!

Reena said...

I can never get the Sabudana Khichadi right. It just turns in to a mush. No matter what I try. And if I soak it in less water, then it doesn't turn translucent and tastes like it's not cooked properly. I get the Sabudana from the Indian store here in the US. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong! Everyone else seems to be able to do it. If you have any tips, I would really really appreciate it.

Mahek said...

hi
friends thanks for visiting
Reena
as i have mentioned i usually soak them overnight if i am having them for breakfast in just about enough water that it comes on top. Then in the morning you will find it dry take ghee or oil and stir fry till they turn transclusent.
remember when you take the sabudana there should be no powder which you find sometimes let it go thro the sieve before soaking them.

Anonymous said...

What my MIL does is that once all is done, she keeps the cooked sabudhana kichidi in the microwave for a min or 2 (depending on ur microwave) WITHOUT THE LID.

Anonymous said...

I love sabudana khichdi but I didn;t know how to make this. After seeing and trying this I am very much happy that whenever I wish I can Make it and njoy it....Thnx

Anonymous said...

looks very yummy.