Thursday, July 27, 2006

GAJAR KOSHAMBIR.....

CARROT KOSHAMBHIR

Today I am posting a very simple recipe, which I think many of you must be making but I am posting it because it is my favorite salad and because the photographs look so good, I love the orange hue that is around the photo and it gives certain brightness to the dish.

I would also love to know from my fellow readers as to how they make carrot raita, salad or koshambhir as we call it in Maharashtra.



ING:
2 cups grated carrots
1tsp ghee
Mustard seeds
Jeera
Hing
Two green chilies
Curry leaves
Coriander chopped
½ tsp sugar.
1 tsp lemon juice
Freshly grated coconut for garnishing





METHOD;

§ Grate carrots with a fine grater
§ I do not squeeze out the water as I feel that the nutrients are lost if I do so.
§ Take ghee in a pan when hot put oil, put in mustard seeds let them splutter, add jeera, hing, green chillies, curry leaves and stir.
§ Pour this mix on the grated carrots add lemon juice, salt sugar, and mix
§ Add freshly grated coconut at the end as a garnish along with finely chopped coriander leaves, which are optional
.

YOU CAN ADD COARSELY GROUND ROASTED PEANUTS AS SUGGESTED BY ASHWINI

BENEFITS OF EATING CARROTS:

It is an excellent source of beta-carotene.
Good source of dietary fiber and potassium
Helps prevent night blindness
May help lower blood cholesterol levels and protect against cancer.
Naturally, sweet carrots make an ideal low calorie snack food.



1 comment:

Ashwini said...

We call it pachadi and this is exactly how we make it too. Sometimes I add crushed peanuts (danyache koot) and that tastes lovely.