Sunday, June 04, 2006

MUSHROOMS - too good!!!!


MUSHROOM –one of my favorites
I love to cook mushrooms in India we have limited varieties available to the local people or in the local market, the five star hotels may be using the other varieties but are not know to the common Indian.
We get the white button mushrooms at almost each and every vegetable market.
In Goa the place from where I have my roots, we get mushrooms in the rainy season, which grow wild, and those who pick them, should know about them, or its dangerous to consume such mushrooms as they might be poisonous. Such mushrooms are the tastiest I have ever had and when fried with chili powder, haldi powder and salt dipped in rice flour and shallow fried they taste like fried prawns and so in Goa come rainy season and you will find lots of dishes being made of these mushrooms which are quite expensive.
In mumbai where I stay I buy these mushrooms in 200 gm packets.
Mushrooms are very versatile and can be used for various preparations like soups, curry, stir-fry
I am giving you a recipe, which I make at least once a week but with what I eat it changes, and with that changes the name of the dish, which I present to my family…
Ok so when I eat it with bread I call it MUSHROOM TOAST SANDWICH
When I eat it with roti or chapatti (I usually roll it in the roti and top it with finely chopped onion to which lemon juice, finely chopped coriander and salt has been added)
I call it MUSHROOM FRANKIE OR MUSHROOM WRAP
I sometimes eat it with rice when I make it a bit watery by adding tomatoes to it.

MUSHROOM STIR-FRY

ING:
200 Gms button mushrooms
3 medium onions roughly chopped
1 tomato
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
8-10 prawns (this is optional I add it for added taste)
11/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp dhania powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
Little lemon juice or amchur powder
1 pinch sugar to balance the flavours which too is optional
Lot of coriander chopped for garnishing

METHOD

Take oil in a pan
Add onions to it let them change colour then add the ginger garlic paste to it
Stir for 2 mins and add the tomato
When the tomato leaves oil on the sides add all the powders.
Stir and add prawns.
Add the mushrooms.
Cover the pan with a little water on top
Don’t put any water while cooking the mushrooms as they have a lot of moisture.
After the mushrooms are cooked add the coriander leaves
Your mushroom stir-fry is ready.
Eat it with bread or roti.

YOU CAN ALSO ADD CAPSICUMS FINELY CHOPPED WHEN YOU ADD THE MUSHROOMS.

4 comments:

Ashwini said...

Hey Mahek got your mail and responded to it. Wondering coz I didnt hear back from you at all...

Puspha said...

Very delicious!!!

Sia said...

Hi Mahek,

I tried out the mushroom capsicum recipe and we (my husband and me) loved it. Thanks!

Mahek said...

hi
thanks forvisiting my blog
and offcourse trying out my recipe